Exercise and Hepatitis C - Be Active!
Physical exercise can help to release tension and improve your overall level of health. Daily low impact activities can help people with hepatitis C to build their fitness.
Start with simple things like bicycle riding—ride a little further each day/week, get off the bus one stop earlier and walk the rest of the way home, or take short walks and increase the distance you walk each day/week.
Don’t overdo it. Your immune system needs adequate rest so listen to your body and take it easy if you feel ill or need rest.
Examples of moderate exercise include:
- swimming or water aerobics;
- walking—meet with a friend and you’ll be less likely to pull out;
- play a game of golf;
- yoga can be a good option if you only have a small space to exercise e.g. inner city apartment or prison cell;
- take the dog for a walk;
- gardening—plant some herbs to flavour your dinner;
- kick the ball around with the kids in the backyard; or
- walk rather than rest on escalators.
Page Updated: 17 June 2013